The Panamanian people love a party - a fact reflected in a wide variety of nightlife spots-bars, discos, pubs and casinos. It all takes place in three sectors of the city: Casco Viejo—the historic Spanish Colonial sector of the city, the business district, and the spectacular Amador Causeway connecting a string of Panama Bay islands with ocean and city views both day and night.
As in any big city, keep to the lighted main streets and have a great time. Taking a taxi from your hotel is a safe way to get to any of these places.
CASCO VIEJO HISTORIC SECTOR
La Rana Dorada : Micro brewing is fairly new to Panama. Nobody has carried out the craft better than Rana Dorada, named after the endangered Panama frog. So far it offers 5 brews: a Pale Ale, Pilsner, Belgian Ale and an India Pale Ale. Ask for a courtesy sampling of courtesy sampling to help you decide. It will go well with their delicious pizza and ceviche. Also located on Via Argentina in El Cangrejo and in Costa del Este! Tel: 269-2989
Tantalo Rooftop Bar
Great views of Panama City's skyline and bay and delicious snacks from the rooftop of Tantalo Boutique Hotel. Have dinner at their first floor tapas restaurant- super yummy and lots of ambience.
The Panama Pub Crawl
A great way to meet people and fellow travelers from all over the world while experiencing some of the hottest
venues that the city's nightlife has to offer For just 25$ enjoy FREE Beer, Wine and Pizza during registration, complimentary shooters, drink discounts, free club admissions.
Mojitos Sin Mojitos:
This restaurant-bar specializes in the three B's: Beer, BBQ and Burgers. Eat on the patio surrounded by stone walls hundreds of years old. On the Corner of Plaza Herrera (9th St. and Ave. A). www.mojitossinmojitos.com
Barlovento Rooftop Bar
A popular rooftop bar located in Casco's Central Avenue. A bit more upscale that most of Casco's bars, you can enjoy the outdoor seating while sipping on a cocktail made from their well-stocked bar. Hookahs and Tapas style food is also available.
Habana Panama: A salsa dance club with live music that brings Cuba from the 1950's to Panama. This is where The Bachelor and his date got a salsa lesson. Enjoy watching fantastic salsa dancers or join in on the fun. Located on Calle Eloy Alfaro and Calle 12 Este. Tel: 212-0152 www.habanapanama.com
Sitio del Casco Located on Ave. A, the Sitio has a fun, relaxing, beer-centric atmosphere. In addition to excellent hamburgers they boast of having of the best beer selection in Panama. They also host musical guests regularly.www.facebook.com/elsitiodelcasco Tel: 6676-3181
S'cena Platea: Take a trip back in time at this cozy, 1920's decorated, charming dance and dinner joint. Live jazz shows and Salsa bands are regular here, but they host all kinds of musicians. Check their facebook for the latest. Tel: 228-4011 www.facebook.com/plateapanama
- Relic: One of the most interesting bars in Panama City because of it's location- inside a stone cellar attached with historic city walls that date back hundreds of years. They have indoor and outdoor seating and cater to a wide variety of musical tastes. 262-1540, Located on 9th st. www.relicbar.com
La Casona de las Brujas: A derelict-style spot that features interesting art exhibitions, quirky decor and a patio. It is nothing fancy but unless there is a musical event it is one of the less crowded, quieter spots you can go to.
Located in Plaza Herrera. Tel: 211-0740
DiVino Enoteca: A trendy new Italian bar and restaurant that features a wide selection of wines. It's open late and is described as a "place to share culture, philosophy, tastes and passions." Located on Ave. A and 4th St. in Casco Viejo. Tel: 6489 0132 www.enotecadivino.com
Las Bovedas: Set inside a 300 year old ex-dungeon. Instead of prisoners it now features French cuisine and an art gallery. Live jazz on Friday and Saturday nights. Located in Plaza Francia where it has outdoor seating as well. Tel: 228-8058.
Casablanca: An urban restaurant and bar with international cuisine, a good wine selection, and occasional live music. Located on Plaza Bolivar where the outdoor seating delivers a great Casco ambiance. Tel: 212-0040 www.restaurantecasablancapanama.com
- The Hard Rock Hotel:
This is the best nightlife spot in the business district. Start with the Hard Rock Roof Lounge- 60 stores up with breathtaking 360 city and ocean views. Come before sunset if you can. Even if nightlife is not your thing, come for the views. Entrance is $20 and free for hotel guests.
There's 4 bars including a Float Pool Get Wet bar and Stage where bands rock out every weekend.
There's a some good restaurants-the buffet is the best in the city and Ciau has good tapas and pizza.
Tel: 294-4000, SUN - WED:6:30 PM - 12:00 AM, THU - SAT: 6:30 PM - 3:00 AM, www.hrhpanamamegapolis.com/nightlife/stage.
- The Wine Bar:
A place for wine lovers with more than 300 wine selections as well as tasty snack cheeses and pizza, wine lovers will feel at home in this laid back bar. It's in the El Cangrjo part of town on ground floor of the Suites Las Vegas Hotel besides Café Pomodoro and on Flamingo Island Amador Cawseway. Tel: 265 4701
A German pub with the best selection of German and European beers in town, as well as a variety of German culinary delights. Located on Via Cincuentenario, House #50, Coco del Mar. Tel: 270 2784. www.steinbockpanama.com
- Istmo Brewpub:
This is a relaxed English-style pub with a pool table and outdoor seating that caters to both natives and foreigners who crave a good craft brew. There's one in El Cangrejo and in Casco Viejo. Tel: 265 5077 www.istmobrewpub.com
- Sparkles Bar:
Don't be fooled by the sappy name, Sparkles is an elegant bar with sweeping views of the city and bay skyline. Monday to Friday, happy hour with half price drinks from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Also, check out the poolside bar at the same location for a cooler venue. Miramar Intercontinental on Balboa Avenue.
- Decapolis Sushi Bar and Martini Lounge:
A chic lounge with views located at the Radisson, this chic lounge and bar has great city and bay views and a poolside bar. This is a great place to start or end an evening. Located on the Lobby level of the Decapolis Radisson Hotel on Ave. Balboa.
- RepubliK Bar:
A small and relaxing bar that despite its political theme—pictures of past Panamanian presidents adorn the wall—attracts a younger crowd. Features a pool table, outdoor seating, and appetizers. Near Federico Boyd and Calle 50. Tel: 265-6541 or 265-6540
- El Apartamento/El Sótano:
Pretty much a renovated residence, this is one of the more hipster hot spots—you'll fine and a rustic, and artsy interior, and weekly events such as local band exhibitions and amateur stand-up comedy. Located on Federico Boyd. Reservations: 269-7877/269-7875 Events: 66173038/66636777 www.facebook.com/elapartamentopanama
- The Londoner: Low key, a place to drink your Chivas or hops in the atmosphere of an Englishman's den. In addition it offers deep fried foods and a pool table. One of the only places you'll find happening on a Monday or Tuesday. Located in the middle of Calle Uruguay. Tel: 214-4883.
- Cielo, Manrey Rooftop Pool Bar and Lounge: An upscale and unique venue, they frequently feature DJs and events—check it out for yourself. Calle 48 Este. Tel: 203-0000
- Urbano Bar: This is stylish retro themed bar with mostly chilled out electronic and ambient music. Calle 48, above the Palms restaurant. Tel: 265-7256
- Sahara: The full package a nightclub, disco, pool hall, outdoor patio and restaurant. Located on Calle 48, across from Gauchos Steakhouse. Tel: 214-8284
- Mystik: A pretty popular club with a dark setting, small dance floor and couches to lounge on. Located on Calle 47 east of Calle Uruguay, Bella Vista. Tel: 380-0550
- Moods: Popular nightclub recently renovated. Mostly reggae and Latin music with the occasional cover band. Located on Calle 48, Bella Vista. Tel: 2634923
- S6IS: Pronounced "seis." Upstairs from Prive, this local plays mostly electronic music. Mostly standing room making it intimate and easy to meet people. www.bars6is.com Tel:264-5237
- Prive: Chic, classy and quiet place for a more select 25-35 crowd. Tel: 264-7711
- Bamboo: A popular bar with an open-air area and indoor lounge. Near the Brisas del Amador shopping center. Tel: 314-3337
- Pahya: A fairly new and popular dance club that plays a little of everything, reggaeton, latin, pop, rock and electronic music. Brisas del Amador shopping center. Tel: 314-3366.
- Traffic island: An open-air venue with amazing views, good cocktails and salsa and meringue music. Isla Flamenco Shopping Plaza.
- The Wine Bar: The place for wine lovers- sea breezes, and an in house music trio.
- La Marina: Pool table, live music, food, dancing, and patio area. Tel: 314-3360.
- Kayuko: A relaxed open-air bar/restaurant on the water, a great place to have a few drinks with a great view. Isla Flamenco. Tel: 314-1998
- Lums A friendly bar-restaurant with pool tables, outdoor seating, and an old school jukebox. Live music and events on the weekends, and plenty of parking. Located in West Corozal, Diablo. Tel:317-6303
- Tapas y Vinos: Wine amateurs and aficionados will enjoy the wide selection at this local favorite. Arguably the best sangria in town. Located on Calle 50 and Calle 71, Edificio Sitio Antiguo, San Francisco. Tel: 270-7402
- Riviera: A 19th century house turned into a nightlife venue with live music on the weekend. Adjacent to the Texaco in Bella Vista.
- Zoomba: A upscale club in that features a mix of musical tastes for the well-off.
Plaza Pacifica in Punta Pacifica.
Where the well heeled locals under 25 dance the night away
An stylish mix of disco, bar and lounge and located high up on a terrace of the upscale Multiplaza Mall, and even offers valet parking. Tel: 391-6008 www.Isabella.com.pa
- Li Bar A new upscale bar that caters to the young professional with 80's and 90's music and gourmet cuisine. www.li-bar.com 209-3512/3513 Calle 76 Este, San Francisco.
- Crown Casino: Sheraton Hotel and Conventions Center
- Royal Casino: Marriot Hotel
- Fiesta Casino: El Panama Hotel
- Majestic Casinos: Multicentro
- Venetto Wyndham Hotel Casino: State of art casino similar to what you' ll find in Las Vegas.
BUSINESS DISTRICT NIGHTLIFE SECTOR -CALLE URUGUARY
Nightlife in other parts of the city:
Note There's a lot of turnover in nightlife spots- if there's any place here that no longer exists, or somewhere you think we should add, please let us know here!